Friday, April 30, 2010

Fridays On The Porch


Fridays around here are all about family. Friday is a special day, its the day that everyone looks forward too. We all have worked hard all week, whether it be at home or out in the world, and it all comes to an end on Fridays. It's time to sit on the porch for a while and unwind, just relax a bit. There is nothing like Fridays on the porch with family and friends. This has been a tradition in my family since I was a little girl. Every Friday around 6:00 or 7:00 we all, aunts, uncles, cousins, neighbors, friends and whoever else happen to stop by, would have dinner and sit on the porch. We just enjoy the evening, discuss the weeks events, and talk of memories from years past. Maybe this is a southern thing I am not sure, but it is something that I would not trade for anything in the world. It has given me roots which in turn have given me wings.... Many of life's problems have been solved on that old porch. So we continue our Fridays on the Porch tradition, no plans are ever made, no phone calls to remind anyone that it's Friday, no menus planned, we just end up on that old porch and sit awhile. It is a simple thing really! Some may think that there is nothing special about that old porch but how wrong they are. That old porch seems to bring out the best in people.There have been lessons taught, life long relationships started, marriages mended, and loved ones mourned on that old porch. I've learned many valuable lessons sitting on that porch swing talking to my sweet Daddy. There is nothing like sitting in the swing on a warm summer evening spending time with your loved ones. No distractions just spending time together. We always have dinner and there is always plenty for everyone. I'm not sure how we do it, never really thought about it much, but we have never ran out of food or not had a plate for anyone. Anybody is welcome to come and sit a spell, the more the merrier. Sometimes the old porch is busting at the seams and other times it feels empty, but there is always someone on the porch on Fridays. I hope to teach my children many life lessons on that same old porch. It's like a family member itself, very dear to my heart. I would love to hear about some of your family traditions or porch memories if you would be so kind to share. Thanks for stopping by and yall come back now!!!!



This is my dream porch.......




This is my front porch.... I have memories of my grandparents sitting here every evening after dinner....



Front view... I got that little rocking chair for free I think it's so sweet. The swing was made by a family member.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Mischelle!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I love your inspirtion picture porch. I wish I had a one like that as well. Actually I've always wanted a big wrap around porch.

    Your porch is so cute. I love the ruffley cushion you have on the rocker and what's a porch without a swing!

    Fridays are special in my family as well. We don't sit on the porch but we have Movie Night.

    Have a great weekend and drop by on Monday as I have a monthly book give away.

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete